The World's Brightest Minds Always Innovate
At St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, we know what can be achieved when the brightest scientific minds face the fewest barriers. That's why we provide world-class facilities. State-of-the-art technologies. Extraordinary support. And a collaborative, bench-to-bedside environment where you can see, firsthand, how your science translates into survival for the children we serve. Quite simply, at St. Jude, we encourage you to dream big, and we give you everything you need to be the force behind our cures.
Bioinformatics Research Scientist - Tumor Cell Biology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's Department of Tumor Cell Biology is looking for a highly motivated bioinformatics research scientist as the key analyst for the genomics and epigenomics projects of the Department of Tumor Cell Biology, in close collaboration with the Department of Computational Biology. The goal of the Tumor Cell Biology department, led by Dr. Charles J. Sherr, an HHMI investigator, is to understand how oncogenes, tumor suppressors and checkpoint monitors of cellular stress govern tumor initiation, progression, and responses to cancer therapy. Emphasis is placed on developing preclinical models of pediatric cancers, including medulloblastoma and acute lymphoblastic leukemia to run pre-clinical trials to improve current therapies. Members of the Department of Tumor Cell Biology publish in high profile journals in Cancer Biology, including Nature, Cancer Cell, Cancer Research and E-Life. The Computational Biology Department has a well-established track record in leading bioinformatics analysis for high-profile genomic and translational research projects such as the St. Jude/Washington University Pediatric Cancer Genome Project. Specific projects include the integrative analysis of ChIP-seq of histone marks and transcription factors, ATAC-seq, Hi-C, Capture-seq, whole-genome and whole exome sequencing, whole transcriptome RNA-seq data to understand the mechanism of key molecular pathways involved in tumorigenesis especially medulloblastoma. Candidates with understanding of cancer genomics, epigenomics and/or genetics, strong problem solving skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, and expertise in next-generation sequencing data analysis are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
Education, training, experience:
• Ph.D which must include research related to bioinformatics (such as analysis of sequence data, microarrays, SNPs, image data, proteomics data, or biological pathways; development of algorithms, statistical methods, or scientific software); OR If Ph.D with no bioinformatics research, then two (2) years of pre-or postdoctoral experience in Computational Biology or Bioinformatics research is required
• Experience with programming languages such as Perl, C, or Java required
• Experience with Python and knowledge on statistical analysis package such as R and Matlab is highly desired. Experience in epigenetics analysis such as ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq, DNase I hypersensitivity-seq, 4C-seq, ChIA-PET, WGS is preferred. Knowledge about neurobiology is also a plus.
• Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Bioinformatics or related field required.
• Ph.D. which must include research related to bioinformatics (such as analysis of sequence data, microarrays, SNPs, image data, proteomics data, or biological pathways; development of algorithms, statistical methods, or scientific software).
• If Ph.D. with no bioinformatics research, then two (2) years of pre-or postdoctoral experience in Computational Biology or Bioinformatics research is required
Ready to join a team that is always innovating, because we believe anything is possible?
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. St. Jude does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, sex, genetic information, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, veteran's status or disabled veteran's status with respect to employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment. St. Jude engages in affirmative action to increase employment opportunities for minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities.